The Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate were founded in 1893 when Mother Caritas and 6 sisters arrived in Columbia. In 1932, at the request of the Bishop of Amarillo, 6 sisters moved to Amarillo, Texas, where the current Provincial House still resides.
The Charism of the Sisters is centered around the will of God and the needs of the world. They live a strong community life, and their apostolate includes education, pastoral work, and missions. The Sisters wear a brown habit with a black veil (although they have some pictures showing gray habits and white habits).